Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pinstripes!

Sometimes your not looking, and you just happen to come across something really fantastic! Such was the case yesterday, as we left the Lake and Cabin Show being held at the Schaumburg Convention Center. I wanted to kill some time before going back to Chicago, because it was a Friday afternoon, it was the beginning of rush hour, and we certainly did not want to get caught in the traffic snarl that was about start.

So I took a short ride over to Cabelas Sporting Goods to kill some time. This was the first of our treasure finds. They have an area of the store they call the "Bargain Cave". It is the end of the winter season and the bargains were fantastic. Picked up a Columbia 100% Goose Down vest. Originally $79.95, now on sale $19.00. Got a nice sport shirt, originally 39.00, now 12.00. Pretty good haul for an unexpected trip. Looked at all of the other deals in the cave, and although there were many, just couldn't bring myself to load up. But we did make out pretty good with what we did buy.

HUNGRY!

Next stop, find a place to eat. We drove drove down Higgans Road to a fairly new mall. I had been there before with our friends Kathy and Pat at a restaurant called Cooper's Hawk, and that was where I was headed, when I spotted a bowling alley in the mall. It was called "Pinstripes". Now you have to understand where we were. The Mall is in a location called Barrington. This particular town boast million dollar homes. So the area is kind of mid to higher end on the economic income scale.

The sign on the outside of Pinstripes says "Bowling, Bocce, and Bistro". It was the Bistro that caught my attention, and I convinced my companion that we should go in and check it out. AND WE'RE GLAD WE DID!

As you enter the building there is a huge bar, to the left are about six Bocce Courts, and to the right is a bowling alley of about twenty or so lanes. But where is the Bistro part? As we walked around checking every thing out, we happened upon an entrance way behind the bar that led us into the eatery. It was very well decorated with many booths and tables, but it was done with class and style.

We were immediately met by a member of their team, sat in our booth, and menus provided. Our waiter, Christopher, took our drink order and also took the time to explain all about the establishment. As a former restaurant owner, I could not help but notice how well the staff got along. The all seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. The helped each other out in ways unimaginable for a restaurant. Now don't get me wrong, this IS NOT a fast food place, nor would I call it a chain, but it is a very up scale restaurant with very reasonable pricing. And you know what? The food was fantastic, the service was terrific, and we'd go back in a heartbeat.

I'll bet that during our stay we had as many as six or seven team members take care of us. The first thing they brought to the table was a vessel filled with fresh brick oven baked bread slices, with a dish of spiced olive oil. Our first course was the Louisiana Barbecued Shrimp. FANTASTIC! I ordered a bowl of their Wild Rice and Chicken soup. It was also great. Now here is what made them stand out. When the soup was delivered, my companion asked for an extra spoon so she could taste my soup. What did the waitress do? She said "why certainly", and came back with the spoon, but she also came back with a small cup of soup for my friend to enjoy of her very own. Great service huh? But it gets even better. Christopher came over and asked us how we enjoyed the soup. I told him it was great.... So what did he do.....he then came back with three small dished, each one containing a small sample of their other soups. They were also very, very good soups.

Our main course was to follow. I had the Ahi Tuna salad and my friend had the chopped salad. Both were fantastic. Christopher had suggested some wine for dinner. But since I was driving, I ordered Ginger Ale, but my friend ordered a flight. This consisted of a large board, upon which were four glasses. One each of different wines. They were generous portions to say the least. And each and every one of them were excellent. Of course I had to take a taste.

As we finished we both said that we were full, the portions were right, and the food was great. Christopher came back and asked us how every thing was, and said he would be back with dessert. I thought that meant a menu, but no, he did better than that. He came back to the table and had in his hand another large plank. On it were two small pieces of cheese cake, a dollop of whipped cream with a huge strawberry, a dollop of whipped cream with a cherry, some sliced grapes and two small pieces of flour less chocolate cake. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Great Service, good food, great atmosphere. BUT IT WASN'T OVER YET!

When Christopher came back with the check he had two other items with him. They were two wrist bands. He said if we came back and wore them we would be greeted with a complimentary glass of wine. This free complimentary wine service was good for life. He also had a couple of cards that said "Thanks" and if we provided them with our email they would let us know about upcoming events and specials. BUT WE'RE STILL NOT DONE!

As we were leaving, we noticed a gentleman setting up a keyboard and equipment. I looked up and noticed a sign that said "Every Friday and Saturday Evening, Live Blues and Jazz". Although we could not stay for the music, I thought, "You've got to be kidding, great food, great service, live entertainment, fun activities, great staff. What more could you ask for? And was it expensive? Not for what we got, the total bill was $62.00, and of course, Christopher got a well deserved tip. What more can I say, but great, great, great!

Now I have traveled all over the world in my lifetime, and I have eaten in some of the best restaurants. But this place, Pinstripes, by far, tops my list. I only wish there were some of them out East for my New England friends to try. But they'll just have to suffer, unless they have a chance to visit the Midwest. But my Blues Friend Mikey, at www.boundarywatersradio.com, well Mikey, you are in luck because there is one in Edina MN. I don't know where that is but I am sure you'll find it. For the rest of you, I highly recommend you check out Pinstripes at www.pinstripes.com surely you won't regret it.........

1 comment: